Monday 16 October 2017



Offcuts, cropping and other studio musings...




Dune and Drift  Oils on board  4x3 inches

This is an off-cut with a personality.
Rather than discard it I will ask my framer to make an 'important looking' frame.

I think Graham deserves another mention...
if you need a custom made frame his link is:



Studio Musings...


This week I have been experimenting with some photos,
 changing them from colour to black and white.
I would like to paint a landscape in monochrome using the photograph as a reference.

The values really stand out in this method and are a good exercise in tonal changes.
In fact, taking a photograph of a finished piece of work and changing
 it to black and white can also help with a critical analysis.

Paintings with strong tonal shifts can be dramatic and eye-catching.
However, not all paintings need this.  
Close toned paintings are easy on the eye and relaxing but care should
 be taken to have some tonal changes though or a piece can be boring.


Here are two photographs which are examples of tonal changes.



              

                        Still life in my kitchen                     Sudden storm over the Fen.


Both of these images would be useful exercises and I shall attempt to
paint them over the next week or two.  I will post images of their progress.


I have recently cropped a few pieces to fit some frames I had in my studio.
This little painting on board is an example of my abstracted work about
the shore at low tide.  I like the colours and marks depicting shallow water.


Shallows  Oils on board 6x4 inches


Shallows in an off-white hand painted wood frame
 made by Graham Perkins.

It shows how a small painting can still have a sense of place.

Available from Artfinder.com/anne-wood



A return to abstract



Marshlight    Oils on canvas 8 x 20 inches  

The marshes are magical in my eyes...
I love putting my abstracted coastal thoughts into paint.

This slim piece has been on my easel for several weeks.
My abstracts often take a longer time to paint.

This one had several scrape downs and nearly finished in the bin.
However, not wanting to be beaten I kept working and eventually the
work came to life.  Now, I am happy with the results.
 I just need to paint the sides, position and fasten it in this float frame


Next Monday I hope to show you some more work. 



                                             



No comments:

Post a Comment