Monday 21 June 2021

Second thoughts.




A painting is a painting...?







Is that so?
There are differing opinions.
I shall explain my side of the situation.

First I will show you my recent work.




'Suspense'

A new piece made over the weekend.
This layered work has a moody 
feeling full of atmosphere.




'Storm'

Another piece with 'special effects'.
Made at the same painting session.
I like them both for their drama.

They both have a lighter under-painting 
which gives wonderful effects when
the top layer is scraped back.


Some studio musings...


This week I have given serious thoughts 
about the description of my acrylic work on paper.

Each piece is unique and a one-off
so initially I referred to them as monotypes
as monotype means 'one of a type'.

However, to some, monotype became 
'mono print', bringing confusion.

Are they to be classed as prints or paintings 
and where do they fit in an exhibition?

Before I answer that I shall describe some 
of my working process...






These acrylics are all made by hand and follow 
similar working pattern to my oil paintings.

I use a variety of mark-making tools;  
knives, spatulas, brayers and squeegees,
 pointed things for drawing and a soft gel plate.

The 300gsm paper I use is strong and 
copes with my mark making.





Golden Open Acrylics dry slowly so I have time 
to scrape back, draw into the paint, add more layers 
and pull different colours from parts of the gel plate.

In my work I never have a fixed plan,
 preferring to let the images evolve.
I like the unpredictability.





The examples show how the different marks
give a narrative and history to the piece.
It is like a journey, a story of its creation.




Nothing is intended to be real.
More a sense of adventure inviting 
the viewer to take a journey.

Each viewer brings a personal perspective
from the interaction with these abstractions.







These acrylics are an extension to my work in oils.
They work in harmony sharing the same artist handwriting.
They are all paintings.


Finishing the work for display...


When the picture is in a mat/mount or framed,
 the back of the work is out of sight.

So I use my initials AW in acrylic on the front;
bottom left or right depending on the image.  






I have a large collection of artwork on paper 
with an off-white 12 x 16 inch mat/mount.


These are available for purchase from my studio.

£ 80 each.


For a studio visit please email me:





Click here for my website 
wildartdesigns.com







annewoodpaintings@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment