Sunday 27 October 2019

Alignment.




Forming alignment with life’
Creating coherence.

Nicholas Wilton Art2Life



‘Carried away by a moonlight shadow’

A new painting from old.
Worn but carefree.




Nicholas Wilton’s Art2Life weekly newsletter 
arrived in my email inbox this morning.   
 
It gave me some serious thought.
I copied these suggested ideas from his text...




Create Coherence between your Art and Life....


Your Art becomes stronger the 

more it reflects you.


Coherence between your art and life makes 

your art practice unstoppable.


Focus....discernment 


Your ability to choose what to keep or 

eliminate in your art and life is a practice. 


Your improvement occurs over time.


The evidence of this is seen in 

the evolution of your art.





To illustrate,

I am using this painting to see how 

the advice fits with my own art practice.





‘Twilight fades the blue’


Oils on canvas board 10 x 12 inches. 



Often I will use an existing picture to make a new one.

   I decided to make a few changes here.


The picture was turned upside down 

and some bright oil colour was added.





It certainly made a difference and

I was ready to keep it....



However, after reading about ‘discernment’,

choosing what to keep and what to eliminate 

I realised there was too much ‘noise’ 

in the painting.   It wasn’t harmonious.

It was busy and tiring.


It was time to think about change.


To bring the painting back to what I like in my life.

Simplicity and a clutter-free environment.



Aligning my work with my life...



I began scraping the colour off and added blue, 

magenta and black with some cold wax medium.

The paint was spread with a knife.


This effect calmed the painting and gave me

a few ideas.   Turning the picture round 

again I scraped paint off and scratched 

some marks in the oils.  Bits of dried 

paint underneath appeared adding interest.  







I rubbed paint off with a rag revealing 

the streak of pale blue dry paint underneath.

This looked ethereal as if in moonlight

giving me the idea for the title.  





Suddenly I felt I was achieving my aim.

Linking my art practice with my personality.


I wondered if some of this was intuitive.


An example of this is how I design my home.  

If something begins to look cluttered I

remove items until I feel a sense of harmony.



Here again is the ‘new’ picture.







‘Carried away by a moonlight shadow’



Here is Nicholas Wilton’s website:   https://www.nicholaswilton.com


To see my website: 







Here is Nicholas Wilton’s website: 


No comments:

Post a Comment