Tuesday 15 December 2020

Back to red.




My adventures with paint.





'Running Red'


The running has taken a new route...


Something about this painting bothered me.
It wasn't a 'bad' painting but I wanted to
soften the hard red line on the right.

Also, the canvas was divided into three parts
on the right side which is not a good composition.


So, out with the old and on with the new.




I mixed some dark red with cadmium orange 
plus cold wax and Liquin medium.

It was a lovely spreading consistency for spreading 
and squeegeeing over my canvas.

It began to have a rippled effect 
with darker parts here and there.


I could have left it there as a monochrome work...
then I decided to mix some yellow with cold wax.

Using my large palette knife I swooshed
the oils and wax lightly across the surface.

A random mark.

The markings took me by surprise
as the paint clung to raised texture.

 I resisted the urge to tinker.  

It reminds me of quickly spreading thick butter on toast,
I shall title it 'Red and Butter'.






'Red and Butter'

Oils and cold wax medium on 24 x 36 inch canvas 




I have another one to show you...









A painting from 2016



After re-working this several times this year,
 it wasn't coming together for me.

(Traces of the original remain in this photo).





It rested in the studio for months 
as I was unsure of what I wanted to do.


Monday was definitely a green paint day...
I mixed far too much so out came this canvas
again to use up what was left on my palette.


I added and subtracted layer after layer.
Scraped and smoothed, scribbled and scratched.
Some cobalt blue touches for spice.


This was the result at the end of the day...




I could have stopped here.
But I didn't.



Today I edited out parts and simplified others.
finishing with a swoosh of lighter, brighter green. 


Here is the final cut...







'Glorious Green'

Reminiscent of swirling sea grasses
as the tide is turning.


Oils and cold wax medium on 20 x 20 inch canvas 




All for now,
until next time 
thank you for visiting.













No comments:

Post a Comment