Tuesday 29 December 2020

Making a fresh start.






Greetings from my Studio 

Happy New Year 2021






'Great Expectations'

Oils and cold wax medium 
on 12 x 12 inch Ampersand panel



This painting came about from a rescue...
I had scraped off a disaster and allowed the panel to dry.




Here are two panels ready for re-painting.
The one on the left is how 'Great Expectations'
looked before I began working.

I started by scribbling some marks with oil bars 
to loosen up, then applied layers of oils and cold wax.
Mark-making is always intuitive as I tease out
a composition.   I aim for harmony and balance.



The history of the original piece was revealed 
when I scraped back with a rubber squeegee.
Some of the scribbles are showing.

I put it in a simple black float frame.







Keeping warm...


The studio is a chilly place to work but my
wood burner stove is cheerful on a winter's day.
My painting sessions are short.






I am excited about this next painting..

It began as I used some leftover oils from a previous work.

Some random marks and a final
swift scrape from left to right signalled 'done'.

Fortunately, I set it aside to dry.
It really shows how less can be more.



Thinking about it...

I am reminded of the lush sea grasses on
Lincolnshire's coastal marshes.



'Sea of the Grass'

Oils and cold wax medium on 12 x 12 inch canvas 










Now for a complete colour change.
Pink and violet blue.

The painting can be viewed from left or right.







'Lightness of Being'

Oils and cold wax medium on 
16 x 16 inch Ampersand cradled panel 


It is on an Ampersand cradled panel
which has a different feel to working on canvas.

The hard wood surface makes it easier to scrape layers 
without the risk of damaging the fabric.



Arches oil paper also makes a good surface for making marks.
I often tape down a sheet of paper as a 'loosening up' exercise.





Here is a new sheet of 12 x 20 inch Arches oil paper.

This morning I taped off into 6 parts
with some spontaneous scribbles.

These will most likely get covered up under
layers of paint.   It's just for fun really.

If they look suitable I cut them to use as greetings cards.




My messy table...



Just to show you,



A 12 x 20 inch panel drying before the next move...
at this present time I haven't yet decided 
where I shall go with it.  

 It's in what I call the 'ugly stage'.


That's fine though.
It's the nature of my work.
I am happy with that. 


Finally..




Here is a digital doodle.
I made it on top of a photo of my recent disaster.

If I was clever...
I would paint this 🎨

Actually, I might do that,
Success not guaranteed.




Until next time,
thank you for visiting.



Click on the link below to visit my website 




www.wildartdesigns.com

No comments:

Post a Comment