Monday 4 January 2021

A long journey.





Getting there...






Balance is something I like to have
in my paintings.  It is really satisfying to
turn the canvas around to see if it works.

Eventually I have to decide 
which aspect to use for display.


Tonal values are important too.
They give the painting impact.


Changing the image to black and white 
is a useful exercise for checking this.





Three main values are evident here,
along with a few more subtle changes.


I like this monochrome effect.




The initial layers of paint...

Yellow, turquoise, white and blue.
Scraping back revealed the colours.



The canvas was left overnight to 'set up'.
At this point I wasn't sure where to go next.

It was too much like a landscape.
I wanted to take it further.


Using a rectangular canvas is a challenge 
when aiming for a non-objective image.

The mind seems to automatically visualise 
foreground, middle and distance, particularly 
when drawing marks across like the ones above.



A new day, a fresh start...






Coming back to the painting I intended
keeping to the green/blue palette.

As you see, that didn't happen.
Eventually I arrived at a conclusion.


Now for the hard part...the title.




That's all for now,
thank you for visiting.





No comments:

Post a Comment