Wednesday 13 January 2021

Removals.




Removing unwanted stuff..

These two patches of light green paint 
were on a recent painting in my studio.





Over the years I have become accustomed 
to making changes in my work and I am not afraid of the task.
If it goes wrong it isn't life threatening, it's paint.


I find it useful to leave a troublesome part
until another day as the 'first encounter'
when I walk into my studio will often highlight unwanted parts.


This was true today.
In my mind, the two patches here were giving 
the picture an unbalanced appearance.


The paint was still tacky so it was easy enough to scrape it away. 
   I also used my knife to scrape deeper 
and reveal the colours beneath.



Here is the new image...

Immediately the painting takes on a new perspective.
I like these random scratches.

Now the painting is balanced.





'Surfaces'



Oils and cold wax medium on a
12 x 16 inch cradled wood panel.
In an off-white wood float frame.



My painting evaluation went on...


This small canvas had similar treatment.
The patch of yellow oil paint was giving a disjointed effect.

I liked the painting and wanted to keep the general appearance,
so I carefully rolled out the paint with a brayer.








Some scraping revealed the pink beneath and
a few fine lines and scribbles scratched into 
the yellow finished off my design.

It can rest now and dry.




'In the moment'


Oils and cold wax medium on 12 x 12 inch canvas 

I have placed the painting in a wood float frame.


The picture can be viewed like this...




It gives a totally different aspect.
A friend suggested the colours reminded her
of the colours of tulips.






Finally...

Just a word about surfaces.
Using a wood panel means I can scrape 
back hard without damaging the surface.

On the other hand,
a canvas can get pierced easily if
there is too much rough treatment.  

I do like both supports,
it's really just a case of being aware and careful.   


That's all for now.
Until next time.












No comments:

Post a Comment