Saturday 1 February 2020

Getting stuck



Thursday went off the rails.


Getting stuck in a painting 
happens regularly in my studio.  

There are days when pictures almost 
paint themselves, and days when I 
feel there is no end in sight. 

Thursday was one of those days.   
It was not going well.   
Three canvases were dispatched 
to the potting shed.  

(Potting shed = waiting for bonfire).

Now it’s time to move on.






Friday was better...


On Friday I looked round the studio for 
something to work with and saw 
this red picture which was 
started a few months ago.  






The under painting was a warm brown/red
with random scratching drawn into the paint.


A green painting was nearby on the table and 
some paint was left over on the palette.
Using this green I smudged it over most of the red.

I wanted something bright to lift the image.  
Transparent gold ochre was mixed with flesh pink tint.
I rollered it quickly at an angle across the canvas.

Immediately, the warm yellow 
gave me the right feeling.
The remains of red add a weathered effect. 

Time to stop before disaster strikes.  
I shall leave it to dry now.




‘Rags to Riches’

Oils and cold wax medium on 
24 x 24 inch canvas.


So there it is...
a lesson learned.

Thank you Ralph Waldo Emerson.


Here is the little green painting
which helped to save the day.




‘Tread Softly’

Oils and cold wax medium on 
20 x 16 inch canvas 



Until next time,
thank you for visiting.



and painting story...
Click on the picture 

No comments:

Post a Comment