Tuesday 9 February 2016


Watch your step.



Ascending Light   Oils on canvas board   8 x 8 inches   


A massive post glacial landslip created this cleft in the rocks in a wood near Gradbach in Staffordshire.  I like the light falling on the steps which lead down to 'Lud's Church' at the bottom.   Moss gives the rocks a soft covering.



Studio Musings...


Keeping this loose yet depicting the rocks was an interesting exercise. 
 Light falls from the top of this deep cleft creating a dramatic entrance.
 On exit there is a sense of peace as the walker climbs up towards the light.

One day I will return to this lovely area.

 After displaying the painting on my studio cupboard I was captivated by the light at the top. 
I have changed the title for this piece from 'Stepping down to Lud's Church'. 
 I think 'Ascending Light' gives the painting a stronger focus.


No comments:

Post a Comment