Tuesday 7 December 2021

What's it all about?



Observation 


This week I am in a pondering mood.
Winter is a good time for me to look and think.

Which are my favourite paintings and why? 

I do have a few in my personal collection.

Here is one I painted two years ago...
It rests on the window sill of the conservatory.

It is a reworked canvas.
I like the simple composition 
and the bands of rolled on paint.

It has warmth and a feel of winter.
Lighter 'frosty' parts and reds 
resembling embers on the fire.



'Divided Opinions'

Oils and cold wax medium on 
24 x 24 inch canvas.




Another favourite is this small canvas...




'Fragments'

Oils and cold wax medium on 16 x 12 inch canvas 


It was reworked several times and wasn't going well.
I was very close to throwing it out but in
desperation I scraped a lot of paint away 
leaving softened areas and just these
small patches of green and yellow.

Suddenly the picture had intrigue and
a sense of weathering over time.
Through my destruction came life.

I became closer to it after the struggles.



  Another reworked canvas below...

It had previously been in an art Show and
when it returned to the Studio I decided to 
change it completely into a new image.

I like the variety of shapes and
the harmonious colour palette.





'Happy Ending'

Oils and cold wax medium on 
20 x 24 inch canvas.



There seems to be a theme appearing.
Reworking.



This canvas has an under painting of
warm colours, parts of which are showing 
through the new layers of oils and wax.

It took a lot of scraping and re-applying 
to come to a successful outcome.

Several times I returned to the canvas,
working at it to find what I wanted.

The pale green was brushed over some
raised areas adding a mysterious feeling.

The patch of purple is scored through with scratches.





'Reminiscence'

Oils and cold wax medium on 20 x 20 inch canvas 




Lastly, another reworked picture which
hangs in my home.  I finished it last Christmas.
It has a 3D effect after I applied many layers.

Warm over cool. 
Dark against light and a patch
of bright sap green to add zest.






'In the wild'

Oils and cold wax medium on 24 x 24 inch canvas 



What has my observation taught me?
Why are some paintings special?
I wondered if the struggles played a part.

It does seem strange that all these pictures 
are ones I saved from the 'bonfire'.

It can take days or weeks for some pieces to reach a 
satisfactory conclusion and many never do.
I have destroyed hundreds over 20 years.


That's all for now...
thank you for visiting.












No comments:

Post a Comment