Tuesday 26 May 2015


Feel the warmth.




                      Sunset Bay   Oils on canvas board   7 x 5 inches   



 There is warmth in this little oil study as a few loosely stated brush strokes give an impression of peace and quiet.  Red sky at night, sailor's delight as the saying goes.

Opposites on the colour wheel are in this little painting.  The warmth of the orange is balanced by the cool of the blue.  There is a small tonal range too as the black and white version of the photograph below shows...




I can see 5 values in the painting changing from colour to monochrome.   Looking at this I could have increased the darks a little but I didn't take a photograph until now.  I find that taking photographs as I work disturbs my 'flow' so I am reluctant to do this.  Maybe I should get used to it so I can talk about my work as I paint.  Also, my values would improve as this little exercise demonstrates.  Another lesson learned.

I admire artists who can talk and paint at the same time...especially when being watched by an audience or being filmed.  I mostly enjoy a solitary life at my easel but I love to meet up socially with other artists and exchange ideas or just for encouragement and inspiration.  




No comments:

Post a Comment