Thursday 14 May 2015


Tools of my trade.





For those who would like to see inside my painting world here is my work tray and some of the oils used for painting.  I like to work with Artists' quality oils as they have better colour and density than cheaper paints.  Many of my oils at present are Winsor and Newton.  I find them easy to use and for faster drying I have some Liquin medium in the little jar lid at the side of my palette.  Just a small amount on my brush mixed with the paint lets the painting usually dry overnight. 

For my palette I am using glass out of some frames.  I put masking tape around the edges for safety and a piece of white paper beneath so I can see my colours as I mix them.

I use acrylic brushes for my small pictures.  They suit my brush strokes and hold plenty of paint.  They need replacing often as I wear them out quickly when I scrub the paint onto the canvas.  

At the end of a session I cover the oils with a plastic tray to keep them viable for the next day.  This little set-up sits on the trolley at the left side of my easel ( I am left-handed).  It is a kitchen trolley and ideal for my spare canvas boards, kitchen roll, reference sketches, photographs, glass jars of white spirit for brush cleaning and other 'stuff'.  




No comments:

Post a Comment