Thursday 28 May 2015


Heady Stuff.



                             Flower Power   Oils on board  4 x 4 inches  



This little oil sketch of flower fields in Norfolk shows how a few strokes with a broader brush can say enough.  Reducing clutter can be quite liberating and as the saying goes...'less is more'.

The late Norfolk landscape artist Edward Seago is one of my painting heroes.  His work is an excellent lesson in the value of broad, confident brush strokes to create a sense of place. 

                Here is one of his paintings from the UK Government Art Collection.


   

                                  Edward Brian Seago    'Corner of the Stackyard'  

This is an example of Seago's use of colour, tone and brush strokes.  Nothing is overstated.  A simple brush stroke is all that is needed to say so much.  I love his work.



2 comments:

  1. Anne,
    I wasn't aware of Seago until I read your post, so I had to Google him. Glad I did, too. Amazing work. Thank you for adding him to my list of artists to learn from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you David, he was my inspiration in 1997 to pick up the brushes and work. I have 4 books about him too. I went to the Portland Gallery in London to an exhibition of his paintings some years ago. He was a master in making it 'look easy' when we all know it isn't.

    ReplyDelete