Monday 15 February 2021

Carrying on





Keeping calm...and pulling it off.


This is my continuing journey with monotypes.




'Swathe'





I am using Golden Open acrylics and gel plates.

When the paper is pressed down and then 
pulled from the plate it is allowed to dry.

Further mark-making with a modified process 
is what completes the picture.



My work tools are:


A range of colours in Golden Open Acrylics 
 A4 200-300gsm paper 

Gel Plates in various sizes
Soft Brayers in various sizes 

Qtips for 'drawing' into the paint 
Stencil/marking materials 

Baren for pressing/smoothing 

Wet wipes for clean up
Kitchen paper 

Table & trolley for materials 


~


I like to do my printing in short sessions as
this helps to prevent overworking the piece.



'Sunny'


It also gives the acrylics time to dry on the paper 
before I apply more paint.
Golden Open have a slightly longer drying time
which is helpful when working on the gel plate.




'Mellow'



Ideas for the mark-making come as I work.
Seeing the image on the first pulled print will often 
give a suggestion of where I shall take the composition.


Although these pieces are monotypes, (one of a kind)
pulled from a plate, this usually has several 
more pulls or part-pulls with different colours.





'Pole'



Manipulating the paper is part of my process.
Rather than press down the whole sheet
I create the design by letting the paper
 touch the plate only where I want the marks.  

Each mark made will often pave the way for the next.




'Hiding'




At first I wondered about making the pictures purely geometric 
or as sketch 'drawings' rather than abstract 'landscapes'.

However, I decided to stay with my natural
style which is painterly with loose abstract marks.



~


My work is done without a mechanical printing press.

I find the brayers and baren are sufficient 
for my needs when pressed down well.






'Pool'


Titles mostly come after the picture is finished.
I try to use one word and usually something 
in the picture will stand out for me.





'Strike'

The white marks gave me this title.




Colours and shapes gave this a sense of land and sea.



'Coast'




That's all for now...
until next time 





Anne Wood - Paintings 

www.wildartdesigns.com. 



No comments:

Post a Comment