Wednesday 12 August 2015



Evening Blues.




                   Blues on Parade   Oils on canvas board   5 x 7 inches   



Some days do not go well in my studio...and this was one occasion.  I had been battling all afternoon with a larger painting and it wouldn't work how I wanted it.  In the end I totally abstracted it and the result was more to my liking.  It is on the easel drying.   If I am still happy with it in the morning I might post it online tomorrow.

I needed a small painting however to post on my website and on this blog.  This little painting was finished in about 45 minutes...fast and furious...and I really enjoyed myself.

I am convinced that taking too much care when painting stifles me.  Trying to depict nature as it is might work sometimes but I really prefer not to be too realist...a photographic replica is not for me.  As soon as I put my reference photo away and began pushing the oils about the painting took on a different feeling.  

This one, 'Blues on Parade' was abstracted from the start...I used the larger abstract painting for reference and the painting came to life without too much fussing.  


No comments:

Post a Comment